Friday, February 15, 2008

Week Five

I hope we have time to talk about the school shootings on Monday. I'm interested in hearing people's opinions and possible solutions. Something has to be done about things like this. I don't get it. I don't understand what's wrong with some people. It absolutely floors me and scares me to death to think that people justify horrifying acts like this in their minds. It had to stem from somewhere, right? Was it how they were raised? Was it a life-changing experience they lived through? Were they beaten or abused or sexually violated?

Why are people like this? Is it appropriate for PR professionals to act as counselors as part of their jobs? Because I want to be a person who prevents things like this from happening. The world we live in is terrifying.

I was reading an article about the shooting, and they had interviewed a Senior journalism student who had witnessed the shootings. That could be me. No... that crap gets to me. That makes me want to stay in my house every day, lock my doors and get in the fetal position. It's crazy that all of us are forced to invest some degree of trust in complete strangers every single day of our lives and trust them not to injure us or our loved ones. And the truth is, you can't trust people. So what are we supposed to do?

I just don't get it. I wish there was a way to live life without the fear of the worst possible scenario becoming a reality. Things can't keep on going on like this. The world isn't learning; the same mishaps and wrongdoings keep on occurring. It just blows my mind.

I think every one of these "terrorists" could've been helped at one point. This stuff doesn't manifest in a 24-hour time period. This is built up aggression and depression and anger and whatever else inside a person. I don't care if the guy hadn't been taking medication. People weren't always so dependent on medication, and stuff like this didn't always happen.

And I bet it wouldn't have taken much to prevent this man from killing five other people and injuring 16. It may have just taken someone taking them out to lunch every now and then, or asking "how are you?" and really meaning it and listening to what he had to say. People are instinctively selfish, and I think that has a lot to do with it.

I just want something to change, and I don't want stuff like this to be in the headlines anymore. I just want answers.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Man I so hear you. I was reading the paper the other day and all his professors were shocked, he was a great student and showed no signs of aggression.

It makes me more passionate about the elections that are coming up. I really hope the issue of gun control comes up and that the Democrats have something to say and a solution. I have no hope in the republican party.

jacqueline said...

Katya,

Let's find time to talk about this next week, along with your very good comments on the Cowboys case study. Could be considered as just hype to sell more papers, for sure.