Saturday, May 3, 2008

Week Twelve

I haven’t done much research on it, but it seems lately that a lot of corporations are hitting this “go green” idea really hard. I think it’s great; it’s awesome that companies in America are making an effort to help save the environment and doing their part, but there’s something else about the whole movement that kind of gets on my nerves.

I guess just since it’s all coming out at once, I feel like one of the main reasons corporations are jumping on this fad bandwagon is because they feel pressured into doing so, not so much because they know it’s the right thing to do. I just feel like they, as someone in another one of my classes put it, are “going green to get green.” It just irks me. I have no proof to back my theory, and maybe I’m just being a pessimist, but something about it just appears fake to me.

Another concern I have about this is how long it will really last. Being environment-friendly is a lifestyle change. I think about diets in the States that people test out, and look at where that has taken us. It’s fine for a couple of months, but after that, things are back to the way they were. It’s just easier to do what you want; it’s easier to go to the drive-thru instead of park and go inside, and it’s easier to give in to that tempting hamburger instead of eating a salad. I’m just concerned that America as a whole lacks the will power to stay committed to this, in my opinion, vital trend. Americans want things that are easy and more importantly not time consuming, and going green requires a time commitment and a sort of training, if you will. I just don’t know if it will really happen.

No comments: